Idealist Capital is an investment firm focused on accelerating the energy transition by providing growth capital to entrepreneurs across North America, with a primary focus on the Canadian market. Idealist Capital supports businesses whose activities enable positive climate impact across one of three themes – (i) the decarbonization of power supply, (ii) the electrification of transportation, and (iii) the decarbonization of industrials and circular economy. The Firm has a dual mandate to achieve excellent risk-adjusted returns while scaling solutions which are beneficial to the climate. Idealist Capital underwrites its carbon impact and integrates critical non-financial KPIs in its asset management process to build sustainable platforms.
ABOUT YOUR ROLE
You will play a key role in all aspects of the investment process and portfolio monitoring. As part of Idealist Capital, you will be involved in the following work streams:
- Evaluation of potential investment opportunities: Conduct company and market research, as well as financial, valuation, and climate impact analyses
- Due diligence: Actively participate in diligence meetings with prospective entrepreneurs and advisors. Assist the team across various due diligence workstreams, including commercial, financial, operational, tax, structuring, climate, and ESG diligence
- Financial modelling: Build and/or review financial models, including comprehensive business plans
- Presentation of findings: Prepare and present investment recommendation memorandums and other internal/external materials
- Monitoring of portfolio companies: Regular tracking of performance relative to underwritten investment cases and value creation plans, as well as of competitive and sector developments with exposure to corporate boards. Support periodic valuation analyses
The position is in Montreal, with a primary focus on North American transactions.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1-4 years of experience within direct investing, investment banking, management consulting, climate/impact research, or accounting with relevant exposure to investment analysis
- Excellent academic track record. A business, economics or scientific degree is preferred, but other degrees will also be considered
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical and critical thinking skills with an ability to process and synthesize significant amounts of information
- Understanding of corporate finance and key accounting principles with a proficiency in financial modelling and advanced Excel/PowerPoint skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both French and English
- Knowledge of impact investing, measurement, and management is an asset
- Demonstrated passion for sustainability and entrepreneurship
- Strong integrity and work ethic
- Proactive ‘self-starter’ attitude with a deep sense of accountability
- Ability to confidently speak up and exchange perspectives
- Open minded and collaborative with a good sense of humor!
Please submit your cover letter and resumé to email@example.com.
At Idealist, we offer competitive compensation and believe in rewarding initiative and hard work. Our goal is to provide a diverse and inclusive workplace where team members feel valued, respected, and empowered to grow. We encourage applications from all qualified applicants and strive to offer an inclusive and accessible recruitment experience. Solely selected candidates will be notified of next steps.